Apart from a few days of unhealthy eating and drinking, its been a fairly healthy and happy New Year. I am trying to eat as much Kale as humanly possible. Kale shakes in the morning, kale and cheese sandwich in the afternoon and then, kale and roasted winter vegetables for dinner. Also sneaking in home-made kale chips for snacks. If there is a short supply of Kale in the world, you know who to blame. My system is totally ready to take on the two weeks of binge eating in Delhi for my brother’s wedding in February. Yup, I am Delhi-belly proof!
It’s been excruciatingly cold and foggy in Denver/Boulder area for the last few days. It is an anomaly for this area to be without sun for 3-4 consecutive days. After all, we claim to have 300+ days of sun here.
Here is an Asian style soup recipe to warm you up in these cold winter days.
Coconut and Miso Lentil Soup
Recipe by Shrutika Troup; Gluten Free and Vegan
Yield: 2-2.5 quarts, serves 3-4
- 1 cup black or brown lentils
- 1 shallot, small dice
- 3/4 cup shiitake mushrooms (remove stalk, chop or tear roughly)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp serrano pepper, small dice
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 cups Kale (remove ribs, wash and chop leaves)
- 1 small tomato
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/8 tsp turmeric, ground (optional)
- 1/4 tsp all spice, ground
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1 tbsp shoyu or tamari (add soy sauce for non-gluten free)
- 1 13oz can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Mae Ploy sweet and sour sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sambal oelek chile paste
- 1 tsp miso
- 1 tsp salt (taste to add more)
- Fresh basil and green onions to finish (optional)
- Rinse lentils in cold water. In a saucepan, combine 4 cups of water and lentils. Once the lentils reach boiling stage, reduce to moderate heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a pot, heat coconut oil. Toast fennel and sesame seeds for 30 seconds on medium heat. Add turmeric, all spice and black pepper. Toast for another 15 seconds. Toasting brings out the flavor from the spices but be careful not to burn the spices.
- Add shallots, mushroom, ginger, cloves, serranos and saute for couple of minutes on medium heat. Once the mixture start sticking to the bottom, shoyu to deglaze the pan. Add 1/4 cup of water if the mixture is still sticks. Saute for another minute
- Add diced tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add coconut milk and salt and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add sweet and sour sauce and sambal in the coconut milk and veggie mixture.
- Add the lentils (including the water lentils cooked in)
- Simmer for 10-12 minutes until the lentils are cooked through but not mushy.
- Take off the stove and mix in miso. Add more salt or shoyu if needed.
- Finish with fresh basil and green onions.
This looks awesome. I hear that they need some Lentil Soup in Texas…
hmmm…not so sure about that kale business. I didn’t think you were supposed to eat weeds? 😀
The ShruTroup soup on the other hand, sounds and looks extremely tasty!
You meat eater! Haha! Kale is my bacon.
Hey. I got the worst stomach pain for an entire day after eating kale. I think maybe it was from not removing the prices that are more difficult to digest. Do you think that could have been the problem? I wonder if my body just doesn’t Handle this type of veggie. I love kale salads with Bosc pears. Yummy
Sent from my iPhone
Oh no! Yeah, make sure you remove the leaf from the big rib in the middle. It helps if you massage the kale with little oil and lemon juice for salad. Helps to break down the cell walls and makes it easier to digest.